Sunday, March 18, 2007

Wandering through Stockholm

On my recent trip, I had about three and a half days to wander through Stockholm... I rarely return to the places I visit, so it was a surprise how much I remembered, how much was familiar, and how comfortable it was to be in Stockholm for the second time. It is a great city to walk around and explore... wonderful walking streets lined with shops and restaurants, rambling cobblestone alleys on the island of Gamla Stan, beautiful old buildings along the water, churches sitting on hilltops... here are a few pictures from my days there:


Benj, Erik (Norway), Pea (Sweden), and Katie along the harbor at Nybroviken



Square on Gamla Stan, the old part of the city
The Palace on Gamla Stan
Radmansgatan, the T-bana station near Immanuel Church and the place where we stayed in Stockholm
Filadelfia Church, one of the largest and oldest Pentecostal churches in Sweden... The church is attached to an old castle which serves as offices and meeting rooms. The new pastor was previously serving a thriving Covenant church and the denomination is mourning the loss. The service was not what I expected... more like a typical contemporary Evangelical service in the United States than a Pentecostal service. There was little mention of the Holy Spirit and very little praying, yet I know the charismatic gifts are still significant for this denomination. They are just expressed in a different way.

Finally, a fruit and flower market located in the square outside the bright blue concert hall... This is the building where the Nobel Prizes are presented.

1 comment:

Rev. Dave said...

Cool trip & pictures. It takes me back to the trip I went on to Stockholm with Jay. We went in early February, though. The pictures made me yearn to be there again. Beth and I were planning on going back for our 10th Anniversary this year, but 6 months of unemployment and having 2 little kids have put that on the backburner.

Hope you're doing well. I heard word that you have a new adventure ahead, but don't know the details. Take care.

David Wenell