Sunday, November 11, 2007

"All" Inclusive???

So, as usual, Sundays leave me with a lot to think about.

Last week it was All Saint's Day. And as has been the pattern for the last few years at our church there was also an infant baptism. It is always a challenge for me to feel a part of the church on these days that emphasize family. Generally central to those feelings are my own sorrow at not having a nuclear family of my own... since this generally seems to be the family that is being talked about at church. Infant baptisms raise grief for all sorts of people, including those of us who are facing the reality of never giving birth for a variety of reasons. But tie that to All Saint's Day... and some feel caught in a crunch between life and death. I celebrate being a part of the communion of saints. I try to remember that this day is about my being welcomed into that communion, a remembrance of my own baptism and coming to faith. I rejoice that many of my family members are part of the communion of saints. Yet, I also know that as someone not born into the faith, I will always mourn those who are not part of the body, those who do not believe, could not believe, never had a chance to believe.

Today, during the service, the word "all" was used many times. It is meant to be inclusive. It is meant to indicate that we "all" share similar experiences in life, that we are all a part of a fellowship of believers. But as one who has always been a bit of a contrarian in life, "all" has more often than not only highlighted my feelings of exclusion and alienation. All to often the experiences that we "all" have shared are not experiences that I have been a part of.

I have thought back to my own usage of the word "all" in sermons and lectures. I realize that I have become much more careful about assuming that everyone in a room has shared the same experiences. At North Park Seminary, it was important to remind myself that not everyone was a part of the same denomination. We did not necessarily have a shared experience of the Covenant Church. How important this was did not hit me until I ended up at a primarily Methodist seminary where I have been reminded over and over again that I am in the minority.

This use of "all" exclusive is rarely meant to cause harm. It is a part of desire we "all" have to connect with those around us, to be reconciled with one another, to emphasize how we are similar, how we are one in Christ. Yet too often the "all" excludes by not recognizing the diversity within our unity. The "all" can cause us to oversimplify our faith and our experience of the kingdom of God.

This is where my own "all" bias comes in. I am a person who is seeking to know a more complex God. It is comforting for me to know that God is beyond all we can think or know. It makes me feel included when we break down the universal nature of "all" and consider the wonderfully complex diversity of our community. For many, this complexity makes God seem out of reach. It brings instability to an already destabilized world. So perhaps I need to make room for those who need "all" inclusive, who need to emphasize our similarities rather than our differences... Perhaps...

As we use the word "all" in an effort to include everyone, though, I would ask you to consider who is not a part of "all." For someone is always on the outside. And sometimes the outside is where Christ is dwelling. And sometimes the outside is exactly where we are called to bring Christ... to welcome "all" into our family of faith.

4 comments:

Jen Lowe said...

Thanks for this post, Jo Ann. I'm realizing more and more how important it is to be careful with those words that connote an absolute.

Ken Wagner said...

Hey Jo Ann, I stumbled across your comments from another blog.
I was reading "Velvet Elvis" earlier this morning, and was reflecting on what Rob Bell wrote about questions--questions about anything and everything. Are your and my questions really the musings of humble hearts? At their core, our questions give us freedom and allow God to be God. There is always more to know.
As white, male, married with children, I cannot know your feelings, but I can listen and hear the questions mingled with pain.
Continue asking the questions--I'm quite frankly sick of easy answers.
"Come let us reason toegether..."

happychipmunk said...

hi jo ann - what a great post! I was just about to go to bed when I said to myself, "I'll just click on ONE blog... just for a treat." And I decided to click on yours. I'm so glad I did! It's one of my favorite posts yet. Thanks for your reflections on the word "all". I realize in sermons I use "we" a lot and maybe I should say "some" more often... I like to find similarities, but I also can squish out the differences by trying to find out the similarites. But I also love diversity... because of the fact that I believe there are core similarities among all humans and enjoy finding what those are. Good reminder to not "force" the similarities, but instead let them come in their time. Tricky balance. johnna

Ingrid said...

Very true. My friend Johanna and I came up with a social theory while at NPU as undergrads. There were the "North Park Everybody" and the "North Park Other". The everybody are the people who when they say "everybody" they don't me you. We were definitely socially other, the beneath-notice and dubiously neutral category and between everbody and outcasts/losers.