Friday, April 22, 2011

The Blindness of Grief



Good Friday... I realize that there is much good about it for us. So much was given on our behalf on that day. A life sacrificed. God experiencing the depth of human pain and suffering, carrying the burden of our sin. I imagine it was hard for the disciples to see it that day, through their tears, as they looked at the man they loved dying before them.

Actually, we know that they could not see that day. That their sorrow, and for some guilt, would send them scurrying to their homes to hide. For others, standing at the tomb, looking at the burial clothes lying there, even seeing Jesus standing before them... they still couldn't see.

Grief and pain and guilt have a way of doing that. Blurring our vision. Causing us to see only that one bit of truth. The pain of that one moment. And to magnify it as if it is all of reality. For some, one can hardly blame them... facing a lifetime of suffering or violence or poverty or grief. And yet... and this is where hindsight makes Good Friday good. We know that even though Christ died, the light of Christ was not extinguished. Death had not won the day. Evil had not prevailed. Our own sin had not finally destroyed us.

In the midst of tears, we search for the light. Some faint memory of the past. Some glimmer of hope in the future. May we find our hope in Christ, in the unfailing love of a God who went to the cross for us.

13 comments:

Natasha said...

beautiful picture

Apple James said...

Hello, Jo Ann ~

I was taken with your description of the dynamics of grief. I have been thinking about similar topics. It helps me to see the the world as a kind of story. A meaning-story. And to see evil, suffering and loss as places and times where the meaning can't be seen. Why did this happen? How could this be? Questions questing for meaning. I suspect that in such times whatever the loss that we point to, it is magnified by the accompanying loss of meaning. No wonder it seems like the world has disappeared.

Somehow your post reminded of lines to a song that starts out "All the world just stopped now. So you say you don't want to be together anymore. Let me take a deep breath, Babe."

Just sharing. Just pondering it all. Just looking randomly through blogs after inadvertently drinking too much caffeinated Diet Coke instead of the caffeine free stuff earlier this evening.

Apple James
1:20 a.m.
http://jamesmelov.blogspot.com/

Apple James said...

Thank you so much for this. Now that I have found your blog, I am sure I will drop by from time to time. I hope you have not stopped writing.

Apple

Unknown said...

So beautifully written. Only today I came across something that expressed my feelings about God. The words are:
"When there is nothing left but God, that is when you find out that God is all you need." Author unknown.
Your journal is truly lovely. I will be visiting again. I pray that each day you will experience the honor of the Lord's presence, the warmth of His love, and the tightness of His embrace.

The YeBambangTri's Fam said...

Good inspiration from the picture. We like it. Tks a lot

middleberry said...

great picture and you are a phenomenal writer! Thank you for this!

nonka said...

really a good description about faith and about our sin .this written is near to our hearts

リアルマネートレード said...

Wonderful blog. I am searching awesome news and idea. What I have found from your site, it is actually highly content. You have spent long time for this blog. It's a very useful and interesting site. Thanks !

Salt Water said...

Thanks. The wife is dying in the other room after an 18 month fight with cancer. I am blogging for escape and found your site on the "Next Blog" link. I can't see the good in this yet. Don't even think I will. But thanks for trying to help those of us who find suffering overwhelming. Time has been my biggest help, yet I say my prayers and go to mass. The grace I'm finding online is a fatigue over crying. She is not even gone yet, yet she is. She is the only wife I've ever had or ever want. I do want to start walking down Mount Calvary.

World Marin said...

interesting written. beatiful picture =)

Anonymous said...

I really Like Your posts. you have really good and interesting blog keep it up of good work :)

security equipment said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

security equipment said...

I really agree with the facts that you have shared on this post. An interesting topic like this really enhances reader's mind to have more effective decisions over a certain issue.