Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Church of Our Humble King?


So, when you try to take a picture at 9:45 pm, your options start to become quite limited. But, I did try and look at the text, walked around the house for a while with camera in hand. As I was walking, I was looking for images that reflected the idea of a humble king.


Matthew 21:5 describes Palm Sunday with this image from the Old Testament: "Look, you king is coming to you, humble, and mounted on a donkey..." Having no crowns or kings or donkeys in the house, my thoughts began to wander.



I began thinking about churches... church buildings in particular... and I wondered what God makes of them. Do they reflect what God desires in a church? And so, I began going through some of my old pictures of churches from around the wordl...



Would God build a church that reflected a humble king, coming to us riding on a donkey? What would that look like?



God did, of course, design the great temple that was in Jerusalem. So, God has not always been opposed to ornate worship spaces. And perhaps there is something in them that still reflects God's glory.



Perhaps the high arches do help us to experience God's transcendence. Still, during this week of Palm Sunday, I just wonder.



What do our churches communicate to the world about our God?


Images from:
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Copenhagen, Denmark
Evanston, IL
The Andes, Peru
Cusco, Peru
The Sistine Chapel of the Andes, Peru
Stockholm, Sweden

1 comment:

Shradha said...

Hi there ,
I am not surprised you don't have a comment to this blog..
Because it is a harsh pointer to the truth..And who wants the truth.
People are so satisfied with Santa for Christmas and Easter Eggs...
My heart aches at the vanity we indulge in,,,and in the name of Jesus...
God have mercy..forgive us