Sunday, December 18, 2011

Holding Out Hope



Our preacher this morning, Una Lucey-Lee, did a wonderful job finishing up our Advent series on the prophecies regarding Jesus found in Isaiah. She spoke of the ridiculous nature of the promise given in Isaiah 9 (and 7...) to Ahaz... faced with war on all sides, God promises a baby. And Ahaz must hold out hope until the baby arrives.

The baby will grow into a king. And Ahaz must hold out hope until the baby grows into this king.

The king will just be a sign of the eternal king to come, Jesus. And God's people must hold out hope until that eternal king arrives.

And that king will be born as a baby. And God's people must wait for that baby to grow into a king.

And that king will give his life for us and promise to return. And God's people today must hold out hope for that return.

Advent is about holding onto hope.

My mom sent me a baby blanket she made for me while I was in high school. I am assuming she was thinking of some far off future event at that time! Holding out hope until her baby grew into a mature young woman. And though that woman is now in her 40's, still single and without children, she still holds out hope.

And as I enter into the adoption process, she sends the sign of that hope to me. And we all once again hold out hope for the arrival of a baby.

3 comments:

Una said...

Jo Ann, you honor me with this post. Thanks. I do love the symbol of a baby blanket as an icon of hope as you wait in this adoption process.

Soji Omole said...

In all things we should learn to give thanks.

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

Awesome, girl. Meet me in Heaven. God bless you.