Saturday, December 03, 2011

God Honoring Abundance



It has been dreary and raining most of the day... so an older picture will have to suffice for my last entry on Isaiah 7:10-25. The themes throughout the week have been on signs and promises, abundance and provision. And, of course, the way God's plans in these areas are often not ours...
I have been thinking about God's image of abundance... of a land flowing with milk and honey. Of having so much milk that once could eat curds every day (not necessarily my top choice!) I find it interesting that what is promised is not meat or seafood, not grains, fruit, or vegetable, but milk and honey. Two items that God's creatures provide to nurture their young. That flow in abundance when there is safety and security and enough food to eat. That are an overflow of God's provision, honey and milk replenishing themselves regularly. That, if we are not overly greedy, nature can provide for us as a gift without sacrifice.

Somehow it seems to be a much better picture of abundance than I usually come up with. Abundance that is in perfect balance... all of the created order sharing together. Food that is given by nature rather than wrenched from it. It causes me to reflect on where my abundance comes from. Or, perhaps at Christmas, where do my Christmas gifts come from? And my food? My holiday clothes and decorations? Are they made in ways that reflects a respect for and partnership with others and with creation? Or are they made with unfair labor practices? Do they require the inhumane treatment of people or animals? Does the appearance of abundance at Christmas come at a cost? Or is it a sign of this rich blessing from God?

I don't know... it is just a thought.

No comments: