Thursday, December 01, 2011

That's not what I asked for...



As I said, I've been focusing a lot on the sign aspect of this passage. About sending a baby to solve a war. I wish I could say that I would have received God's sign graciously. But if my normal patterns in life are any indication... I would have thrown a fit! A tantrum. Pleaded and cried and screamed. That's what I usually do these days when God doesn't answer my prayers.

I think I have always been a bit like this. I was never a gracious gift receiver. If I didn't like it, if it wasn't what I wanted, if it seemed to indicate that the person didn't know me at all... it showed all over my face. The grimace. The frown. The questioning look. Then, of course, I would pull it together, smile and say thank you.

I've worked on it all my life... trying to be more gracious, more grateful, more thankful. But I fall sometimes. Not just with people, but with God.

If I was Ahaz, I would have been yelling, "God, I don't need another sign! I know you are gracious. I know you are loving. I know you are faithful. I know. I know. I know. But what I really need right now is for you to fix this. For you to do your miracle thing. For you to answer my prayer... they way I want you to. Seriously... a sign? What good is that going to do me? The answer may not even happen until after I am dead and gone!"

May this year be different. May I be a bit more gracious. May I be a bit more thankful. May I receive what God offers. May I recognize that the signs point to promises that are far greater than anything I could ask for. May I find you sufficient and rest in you.

No comments: