Thursday, December 03, 2009

Every Valley Shall Be Filled


Every Valley Shall Be Filled
Originally uploaded by auntjojo

"Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough ways made smooth..."
Luke 3:5

I have always wondered why anyone would need to straighten the Lord's path or fill in valleys (or for those in Chicago, the potholes!). I kind of think of God as an all-utility vehicle. I realized, however, that the focus of the passage is not on God, but on me. What are the sharp bends in the road of my life? The valleys that need to be filled? The hills that need to be made low? During this season of my life, I struggle with jealousy, with fear that the Lord will not provide, trusting God in the midst of unanswered prayers. These are the things that keep the road to my heart from being smooth and open to God. How can I prepare the way to my heart this Advent season?

2 comments:

Howard Burgoyne said...

I think of "valleys" as the things that are missing, and the "mountains" as the obstacles in the way - or omissions and commissions. If all creation is reoriented around the coming of the Lord, surely my life needs to participate in that great preparation!

boco said...

Thank you for your insights on this verse.... It was very helpful to me....
Becky