Sunday, December 20, 2009

Surely...


Surely...
Originally uploaded by auntjojo

"for God has looked with favor on the lowliness of this servant. Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed."
Luke 1:48

To be honest, I didn't really want to take a picture today. I have pretty mixed feelings about Mary. This morning the sermon was filled with illustrations from the experience of pregnancy and the struggles of semi-perfect families. I realize they are good illustrations. The goal was to bring some realism to the Christmas story. I was just tired. Tired of mourning my own singleness and lack of children. Tired of struggling with loneliness. Tired of the church pretending we all have intact families and failing to create new families to fill in the gaps.

Sorry, this is not much of a Christmas reflection. But I was wondering if perhaps Mary was a bit tired at this point. So much was changing for her and she had no idea what the future would hold. I was wondering if the Magnificat, the verses for today, were not some nice sweet song of Mary, but a shout of courage. In the midst of a life she no longer understood, Mary speaks forth what she knows about God, a God of justice, power, compassion, and mercy. Sometimes that is all the light there is at Christmas. That small glimmer of hope as we state again what we believer, as we stand defiant in the face of a world that we no longer understand.

2 comments:

KJ said...

Have you ever considered being a single mom? One of my good friends is the single mom (by choice) of two boys... because you're not married does not mean you can't have a child.

Jo Ann Deasy said...

I think about it all the time. It seems pretty overwhelming, but is probably the direction I'll go. Now, I just need to get a job and start saving money for the adoption.