Sunday, December 06, 2009

Who Pulled the Alarm?


Who Pulled the Alarm?
Originally uploaded by auntjojo

So, the verses in the lectionary this year leave us with some difficult verses to start the Advent season. The gospel lesson this week continues with John's preaching in Luke 3.

"John said to the crowds that came out to be baptized by him, 'You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the wrath to come?'"
Luke 3:7

Who warned you? Who pulled the alarm? Do you know what you are getting yourself into? I have to admit that in a way I am grateful I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I came to faith in high school. Had I known how difficult the journey would be, I am not sure I would have made the same choice. Following Christ is not easy. John knew that. He was not preaching some easy message of faith, but a powerful message of repentance and a call to discipleship. A message that would lead the followers not into a nice Sunday morning worship service, but to a cross. Our Advent waiting should be filled with joyful anticipation, but also with a bit of fear and trembling of what is to come. Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life... but just because it is true doesn't make it simple.

No comments: