Monday, December 07, 2009

We Have As Our Ancestors...


We Have As Our Ancestors...
Originally uploaded by auntjojo

"Bear fruits worthy of repentance. Do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our ancestor': for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham."
Luke 3:8

I have Rev. James J. Deasy as my ancestor, a Catholic priest at the turn of the 20th century. My grandmother faithfully went to mass every Saturday evening at 5:00 pm until she died. There is a history of faith in our family, but it almost didn't make it to the next generation. Faith does not automatically pass itself on. it takes work and commitment. John seems to be chastising the people for relying on the faith of their ancestors. They were no longer living out their faith, but living it in name only. It seems like an apt message for toay... for the many churches that seem more concerned about caring for themselves and fail to pass on their faith to their children or to anyone else. I am so grateful for those who chose to pass their faith on to me when I was in high school. Thank you for bearing fruit!

No comments: