Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Share One


Share One
Originally uploaded by auntjojo

"And the crowds asked him, 'What then should we do?' In reply he said to them, 'Whoever has two coats must share with anyone who has none; and whoever has food must do likewise.'"
Luke 3:10-11

I have to admit it. I like to get presents. I like to give presents as well, but I really like to get them. And I get a bit resentful at Christmas. With no nuclear family of my own and no work family, I am in very few gift-giving circles this year. So now, not only do I want presents, I want a spouse, children, and a job as well. Somehow, I begin to equate receiving gifts with begin valued, thought of, cared for. Forgive me. I know that just the opposite should be true. Christmas is about receiving the greatest gift of all, the one that should make us feel so loved that we want to give away all we have, share with others, make sure they are clothed and fed, that they feel the love that we are assured of. Help me to remember that this Christmas season. Help me to actually believe that it is better to give than to receive.

No comments: