Friday, March 18, 2011

If we only knew...



Up in the corner of one of my closets sits an old silver goblet. Well, age is all relative. It is as old as I am. It is tarnished. It is unused. It is about the only antique I have. One glance at it and you would probably pass it over. But hidden on the back is an engraving of my name. It was a gift to my parents when I was born (I think...)

Jesus was not so old, but he may have looked at bit run down and tarnished after three years of intense ministry, walking from city to city, managing a group of unruly disciples, being pursued by crowds seeking healings and miracles. What he did was quite fantastic, but if you hadn't heard the stories or seen the miracles, he probably looked just like any other guy. Quite unremarkable.

But then, on this one day, he takes a few friends up to the top of a mountain and gives them a little peek. Underneath all that humanity was the glory of God shining through (all right... not the most accurate theological language for the incarnation, but you get the point) I wonder if people would have treated Jesus any differently had they known? I wonder, if I came face to face with God's glory for a moment, if it would change how I treat God? Do I treat God like an old family heirloom or antique that I leave hidden up in a closet? Or do I cherish God knowing God's full worth?

1 comment:

Jeff Keuss said...

wonderful reflections, Jo Ann. It is amazing how transformation can occur when we least expect it. I hope your Lenten season finds such unexpected grace and transformation in the weeks to come.