Thursday, March 17, 2011

Transformed or Transfigured?



So, I've tried to start this post several times, written a few sentences, and then gone back and erased it all only to start over again and do the same thing once again. In my mind, as I've been thinking about the transfiguration, I've been thinking about the subtle ways we try to transform ourselves. For women, especially, the concern we have about hair and make up and clothing. We transform ourselves to stand out and to fit in and to be accepted and to keep people away. As I am writing, I am realizing how many of our attempts at self-transformation, which so often involved hiding who we truly are, actually end up revealing our true selves. Our attempts at transformation reveal our insecurities and self-perceived flaws.

What does this have to do with the transfiguration? Maybe nothing... but maybe it can help me think about the difference between transformation and transfiguration, at least in the way I am using these terms today. Transformation seems to be about changing who you are. Transfiguration, at least in the sense of Jesus' glorious appearance on a mountain top, seems to be more about revealing who you are.

Jesus was, at his core, not only fully human, but fully divine. And that was revealed on the mountaintop that day. The full divinity of Christ shining through. We are, at our core, created in the image of this glorious God. Perhaps I should stop trying so hard to transform who I think I am and embrace who I was created to be. Perhaps by embracing the image of God within my life, perhaps there will be glimpses of transfiguration that allow the glory of God to shine through.

2 comments:

Kirsten said...

The difference in terms is 'enlightening' and I am enjoying mulling that over... thanks!

Pastor D said...

Thank you JoAnn for your words of wisdom, I have been pondering this all day..... now it makes sense.