Thursday, March 24, 2011

Why Do I Still Thirst?



So, the picture for today isn't that great. As I was taking it, the battery on my camera died. And, of course, the spare batteries are currently being used elsewhere. Oh, and the battery on my computer is dying. And, if I could find my cell phone, which at the moment I cannot, I'm sure that battery would be dying to. And I am feeling quite depleted today. Spent 2 1/2 days doing some vocational discernment. I feel a bit dried up and worn out.

But to the passage for today... John 4:14, "but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give shall never thirst, but the water that I give shall become in them a well of water springing up into eternal life."

Um... God? Did I miss something? Am I not supposed to be feeling this way? Am I always supposed to be filled to the brim emotionally and spiritually? But why does my spiritual life feel like a pitcher of water that constantly needs to be refilled? Why do I sometimes wonder if my spiritual well is cracked and leaking?

I'm not sure I have any good answers. I wonder if perhaps the goal is not to be filled all the time, but simply to be something the living water can flow through. We are not to be a well that fills up spiritually and then becomes stagnant. We are to be fountain that allows the living water of the Holy Spirit to spring up and overflow.

Though, perhaps even more to the point... maybe I am thirsty because I keep asking for the wrong water. Maybe I keep dipping into Jacob's well instead of turning to the one who created the water in the first place.

1 comment:

Pauline said...

Hi Jo Ann :o)
I can relate, lol. Have a blessed weekend.