Saturday, March 26, 2011

Jesus... that's close enough



I don't know if you have ever been at a point in your life when God seems to be drawing closer... not in a good "I feel the warmth of God's presence" kind of way... not a comfort in grief or a growing sense of your relationship with God. But God wanting to step across another internal boundary in your life. God wanting to help you grow and deepen and become more whole and human. But in order to do so, you have to let God in even deeper, perhaps to places you have kept sealed up for a long time, perhaps to places you didn't realize even existed.

I feel like I am nearing one of those moments... and it feels a bit like I imagine the woman at the well felt when Jesus said to her, "Go and get your husband..." Of course for the woman at the well it was a complete stranger suddenly delving into her personal life. Who then proceeds to dive in even deeper as he reveals that she has had five husbands and is currently living with another man. I imagine that could not have been very comfortable for her. Though she may be much more secure than I am.

I know that I need to push forward... or, perhaps more accurately, allow God to keep pushing forward. I know that God welcomes my questioning. At least Jesus seemed to welcome the woman at the well's numerous questions throughout the encounter. I know that God moves slowly, often revealing only the truth we can handle at the moment and waiting for us to begin to grasp the deeper truth. Mostly I know what is waiting on the other side. That spring of living water that is promised. That gift that allows you to never be thirsty again. The spring welling up to eternal life. The presence of the Holy Spirit. My God grant me the courage, this Lenten season, to continue to remain open as God moves deeper into my life.

1 comment:

Jen L said...

Jo Ann, thanks for your post today. I appreciate your reflections on this uncomfortable but necessary reality.