Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Just Five More Minutes...



My image from yesterday still has me thinking. One of the dangers of the transfiguration is that we can be so overwhelmed by the glory of God that we become frozen in place. We want to preserve the moment and fail to bring the kingdom down from the mountaintop.

I don't have a lot of transfiguration moments in my life... my danger is not to fail to come down from the mountaintop. It's more basic than that. My danger is just trying to get out of bed in the morning. Now it has nothing to do with being depressed... I just really like sleeping. And beds are comfortable and cozy, especially during the cold winter. And a good dream... I would much rather live in my little dreamworld than out in the real world.

And perhaps that is one of the messages of the transfiguration. We can't live in our little dream worlds. Not even our little Christian bubble worlds. We can't live in a world that avoids the reality of what is out there. God wants us to get out of bed, stop hitting the snooze button, climb down off the mountaintop... and live.

2 comments:

Cathy and Jim said...

very cool photo! And reflection, of course..

Sheri said...

I love this.